Thursday, November 10, 2011

Why do I have to install, test and debug your stupid software selection?

This situation occurred about 6 weeks ago. Our accounting department went to a conference about creating consistency across the enterprise and how accounting/human resources can help. The three people that went were so excited about the prospect for change and came back very enthusiastic. They also came home with new software. New, expensive software.

My professional opinion was that this 'conference' was simply a way to sell software.

I was asked to install the software on two different computers so that the user could start learning the software and their boss could learn the software as well. I asked what kind of licensing we purchased with the software and was handed the CDs (6 cd's in total). When I informed the accountant that I can only install it one place per the license on the box I was asked how to fix it. I told them to buy it again; she laughed.

The solution was to install it on her computer so that she could learn the software then we'd uninstall it from her workstation and install it on the HR computer for it's eventual use. Wonderful.

Now this isn't just any old piece of software. This software helps you write out job descriptions. It also helps you write company handbooks. It also helps you keep tabs on your employees and what certifications/skills they have and obtain. It also helps you create forms of all types. It also helps you develop standard letterheads and company documents. Pretty cool, right? Except for the fact that we have software that will let us do that on every computer in the company. It's called Microsoft Word. It's a word processor. It's pretty easy to use. Have you ever heard of it? Apparently the people I work with haven't.

So I take the CDs from (let's call her Rachel) and go to my computer to read the documentation. I quickly realize that this isn't so much a piece of software, as much as 6 separate pieces of software. So each function you want to use, requires a separate install from a separate CD. My guess is that they feel that can charge by the CD and the customer accepts this because it comes with 6 CDs of awesomeness. Genius, no?

So I install, all 6 CDs (oh, and each CD cost about $120) on the workstation and verify that I can launch the programs. Rachel makes a big todo about learning all this extra software and exclaims that she'll probably have to stay late every night for a month before we can use it properly. I tell her that she should've stuck with Microsoft Word and Google. She wasn't amused.

Fast forward 6 weeks. I have not been asked about the software since. If I had to wager, Rachel has either forgotten the software ever existed or she never stayed late for a month like she swore up and down that she'd have to do.

So my message to end users: Please consult somebody else before buying your stupid software. I could've saved us $720 by telling you to use Microsoft Word and Google examples for consistent company documentation. I would've been very kind in walking you to this conclusion and would not have made fun of you (to your face) at all! However, if you buy the software before consulting with me, I'll be kind and do my job and help you with whatever you need.

1 comment:

  1. Did the software have hundreds of sample job descriptions, handbooks, etc? I can see some value in this if it contains samples. However, there are databases on the web to which one can subscribe for the same purpose.

    Senior level management (not just at your company, but at all companies) should be educated about the value of web-based services as opposed to locally-installed software. I'm not talking about using Google Docs over Microsoft Office either; it will be a while before I'm willing to give up Office. But there are plenty of things today that work just fine online, and any responsible business will seriously consider web-based options when available, due to the lower maintenance costs.

    ReplyDelete