Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I know, let's have the IT guy do it!

I was recently asked to add users to our computer system. This requires me to add users to the login system, give them email addresses, add them to our ERP and data management systems, provision the computer with the proper rights for that user, and finally setting up their accounts under their user profile. This process doesn't take a whole lot of time but it takes thought and planning to execute.

Once I verify that everything is setup properly (for the user and the computer), it is my assumption that the supervisor will take over and make sure the users know what they need to know. After operating this way for a couple years I was informed (by the users' supervisor)  that this assumption is incorrect. The supervisor told me that the users had no previous computer experience and that it was my responsibility to show them how to log into and use the system.

I understand the argument but I feel that it's being used as an excuse to hand off responsibility (this isn't an isolated incident; this type of thing happens a lot in every company). Why can't a supervisor (someone who is familiar with computers and is familiar with the users' new role) show someone how to press alt+ctrl+del, type a password, move the cursor to the "Outlook" icon and double-click the mouse?

If someone needed training on Microsoft Access or how to manipulate files or data in our PDM system then I wouldn't give this request a second thought. But please take responsibility for your subordinates (and yourself). If they need to learn something and you have the knowledge and the capability to do so… train them. Don't pawn your job off on the IT guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment