Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Cursing me out will not put you on the top of my list

A couple of weeks ago I had a new experience.

I was working on our barcode capture system which forced me to visit 8 terminals around the plant to find the one causing the issues (this system is 15 years old but for the most part is rock solid). Fortunately for me, the terminal causing the problems was right next to a computer that allowed me to remote into the server and send it configuration commands.

A gentlemen (I had never seen him before which suggested to me he was a recent hire) approached the barcode terminal to which I told him it wasn't working and I was fixing the issue. He proceeded to curse me and the 'blasted' (edited for content) barcode system up one side and down the other. He definitely was NOT a happy customer.

Because I work in the IT field, I work in the customer service field by default. I've had some pretty ticked off customers before but I've never been spoken to like that before. I don't know anyone would speak to their dog like that. I understand frustration when a tool you rely on to do your job stops working; I do not understand transmitting your frustration in such a way that not only demeans the person fixing the issue but also makes you look like a buffoon. I have other morals and values at play but I essentially prescribe to the golden rule (treat others the way you want to be treated). If you show me respect I am more than willing to show you respect.

I did resolve the issue (about 4 minutes after the gentlemen left) despite his attitude because many people more people other than he rely on that system. If I had a place of business and was treated that way by a customer I think I would politely explain that their business wasn't appreciated.

All that to say, I understand what I signed up for. We are often the scape goat for people and/or problems and I'm fine with that. But if you respect me and what I do, I'll be more inclined to respect you and what you do. I might also be inclined to give you better service.

No comments:

Post a Comment