Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Any Android users out there?

I apologize now for this post. I am an Android user and this post contains a lot of terminology related to Android. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to comment!

I absolutely love my Android phone (HTC Droid Incredible). The first day I got it I rooted it and searched for different ROMs to put on the device. I started off with a ROM using HTC's Sense UI but decided I wanted more of the stock Android experience. I discovered CyanogenMod and didn't look back.

I am very excited at the possibility of a decent Android tablet coming to the market soon so I am trying to migrate a lot of my workflow into the Android environment (I rely heavily on Exchange and some of the services they provide and am migrating to the equivalent Google service) to make my potential tablet more effective. I recently discovered Google Reader and have fallen in love with it! The problem is, it appears to crash my phone.

I am running CyanogenMod 6.1 (stable). Since I started running Google Reader (February 2nd), my phone will work great for a day or so but then Google Reader causes force close after force close. I reset the device but get caught in a boot loop (the boot screen loads, freezes then the device resets itself). I have been making backups like crazy so I don't lose any data but I do lose about an hour of my life as I get my phone operational.

I was discussing my issue with another Android-loving friend of mine and he gave me the confidence to try a nightly build of CyanogenMod v7 (beta).  V7 is built on Gingerbread which I'm very excited to try. My hope is that this fixes my FC issue using Google Reader. 

No comments:

Post a Comment